Enjoying the amazing rivers of North Yorkshire!!
With such a wealth of watery locations in North Yorkshire it can be hard to choose where to visit.
Here are some suggestions for great places to see different things.
- Waterfalls – Ingleton Waterfalls Trail (R. Doe, Yorkshire Dales), Aysgarth (R. Ure, Yorkshire Dales), Falling Foss (May Beck, North York Moors)
- Wildlife (sightings possible, but not guaranteed!) – Nunnington Hall (R. Rye, Howardian Hills) for Otters, Howsham Mill / Kirkham Priory (R. Derwent, Howardian Hills) for Kingfishers, Stainforth Force (R. Ribble, Yorkshire Dales) for Salmon
- Abbeys and Stately Homes – Rievaulx (R. Rye, North York Moors), Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden (R. Skell), Kirkham Abbey (R. Derwent, Howardian Hills), Bolton Abbey (R. Wharfe)
- Gorges and Strids – How Stean Gorge (How Stean Beck, R. Ribble), Gordale Scar, Strid (R. Wharfe, Yorkshire Dales), The Strid (R. Wharfe, Yorkshire Dales)
- Ings, washlands, water meadows – Clifton Ings and Rawcliffe Meadows (York, R Ouse), Lower Derwent Valley National Nature Reserve (R. Derwent)
- Stepping Stones – Bolton Abbey (R. Wharfe), Lealholm (R. Esk), Goathland, Cray Gill (trib R. Wharfe), Healaugh (R. Swale), Stony Stoop Lane (nr Aysgarth, R. Ure)
- Accessible riverside walks (surfaced, no stiles) – Cotter Force (R. Ure, Yorkshire Dales), Gordale Scar (Malham, Gordale Beck, Yorkshire Dales), Howsham Mill (R. Derwent, Howardian Hills), Esk Valley to Beck Hole (R. Murk Esk)
Fancy getting in or on the water and want someone to show you the ropes?
- Wild swimming:
- Local instructors and guides – Take the Plunge , Sea Swim Yorkshire and Dales Dipper
- Outdoor Swimming Society List of Local Swim Groups
- Mental Health Swims